Unitarian Universalist Church of Silver Spring
High School Programming includes a Coming of Age Program for 9th Graders, YRUU (teen group) for 9th-12th Graders, and Our Whole Lives (OWL), a comprehensive human sexuality curriculum for interested 7th-9th and and 10-th -12th grade youth.
Coming of Age (9th Grade)
Coming of Age (COA) is a values and identity formation program. It meets most Sunday mornings at 11:30 with some additional activities scheduled. Requires pre-registration.
YRUU (9th-12th Grade)
High School Students participate in YRUU (Young Religious Unitarian Universalists), which is our teen group for 9th-12th Graders.
YRUU meets every Sunday morning at 11:30 and also gets together for overnights, youth conferences, social action projects and fun social events.
Our YRUU Program focuses on:
- Congregational Involvement (such as the Auction Chili Dinner, Halloween Haunted House, and YRUU-led worship service),
- Social Action Projects (chosen each year),
- Worship (attending and leading traditional worship in our Sanctuary and participating in quarterly circle worships),
- Building Community (fun social events such as overnights, bowling and youth conferences),
- Learning (such as small group ministry sessions, guest speakers, and discussions).
Our Whole Lives (OWL)
Our Whole Lives (OWL) is a comprehensive UU program on human sexuality that UUCSS offers for 7th-9th grade youth (September-April) and 10th-12th grade youth (January - April). Pre-registration is required.
Teacher Training and Supervision
All of our RE teachers, team members, youth advisors, leaders and professional staff adhere to our UUCSS Child Safety Policy and are supervised, trained, and supported by our Director of Religious Education.
We welcome visitors and encourage you to fill out a special visitor form when you come so that we can contact you and answer any questions. After attending several Sundays, we ask that you register each child and youth by filling out a Registration Form (pdf form) and returning it to the Minister of Religious Education, UUCSS, 10309 New Hampshire Avenue, Silver Spring MD 20903 or e-mail it to email@example.com.