The position is 8 hours/week. 3 hours/week will be on Sunday mornings. Hourly rate of pay ranges from $17 – $21/hour, based on experience.
Teleworking is possible when physical presence is not required. Local travel will be required to purchase supplies.
Religious Education at UUCSS may take place inside, outside, or virtually, depending on local rates of COVID-19. It is expected that all staff working with children and youth will remain masked while indoors and are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. These guidelines will continue to change in accordance with guidance from local and national agencies and guidance from the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA). Covid guidelines at UUCSS can be found here: UUCSS Covid Guidelines – Unitarian Universalist Church of Silver Spring.
Reports to: Assistant Minister for Spiritual Growth
Introduction: The Unitarian Universalist Church of Silver Spring (UUCSS) is a midsize congregation. We are a Welcoming (LGBTQ-friendly) Congregation that has been accredited as a Green Sanctuary, has an active Racial Justice Task Force, and supports Deaf access to congregational life including weekly ASL interpretation during worship services. The Religious Education Assistant & Volunteer Coordinator will join a collegial and collaborative staff who actively support each other.
Primary Job Duties:
- Work closely with the Assistant Minister for Spiritual Growth to coordinate virtual (if needed) and in-person Religious Education classes for children and youth. This involves supporting teachers with indoor, outdoor, and virtual (if needed) set-up; creating materials and purchasing supplies; and ensuring that materials are put away following Religious Education classes.
- Complete administrative tasks such as keeping organized records of Religious Education participants and volunteers; creating flyers; communicating with families; assisting with volunteer recruitment; and organizing and maintaining educational spaces.
- Assist AMSG and RE volunteers with preparing lessons as needed; communicate with volunteers and ensure they have materials needed for weekly lessons.
For more detailed information on duties and responsibilities, see the end of this posting.
Knowledge and Skills Required: Understanding of and desire to work with children, youth, and families. Ability to work remotely and have excellent organizational and computer skills. A self-starter and team player.
To Apply: Interested applicants should email a resume, cover letter, and contact information for two references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; please submit early for immediate consideration. Job responsibilities could change given the impact of coronavirus restrictions in Maryland.
Applicants will be contacted if they are invited to interview for the position. If selected for employment, applicants will be required to successfully complete a background check.
Detailed Information on Duties and Responsibilities:
Coordinate Sunday morning Religious Education (RE) classes for children and youth.
- Communicate via email with RE volunteers and RE parents re: curricula, plans for the week, etc.
- Assist with volunteer recruitment.
- Assist with in-person and virtual (if needed) classroom set-up (e.g., distributing materials to classrooms, gathering supplies for Children’s and Multigenerational Choirs and other activities, setting up and monitoring break-out rooms for virtual RE activities if we must meet virtually).
- Create, organize, and assemble classroom materials before and after RE classes.
- Assist AMSG and RE volunteers with preparing lesson plans as needed.
- Serve as point of contact for the Assistant Minister for Spiritual Growth on Sundays when the AMSG is off.
- Serve as a substitute teacher when needed.
- Check-in weekly with the AMSG.
Complete administrative tasks and other related tasks for the Religious Education program for children and youth.
- Keep organized records of registered RE participants and RE volunteers.
- Create flyers for RE events.
- Communicate with RE families and other congregants and friends.
- Work with the church’s Treasurer to order or purchase supplies when needed.
- Organize and maintain RE closet spaces.
- Participate in RE Committee meetings as necessary/as requested by the AMSG.
Other duties as assigned.