Position Title: Communications Administrator
Reports to: Minister
Part time, 20-25 hour non-exempt position
The Unitarian Universalist Church of Silver Spring (UUCSS) is a progressive religious community with a strong commitment to anti-racism and social and environmental justice. We have been a Welcoming Congregation since 1996, are accredited as a Green Sanctuary, have an active Racial Justice Task Force, and support deaf access to congregational life, including weekly ASL interpretation during worship.
We seek a Communications Administrator who will ensure the efficient and effective management of the communications and administrative operations of the church. The major areas of responsibility include congregational communications, church office administration, and facility management. The administrator would join a dynamic and collaborative team facilitated by our Minister.
Preferred Skills & Experience
- The position requires experience in communications and working knowledge of major office-related computer applications including database and website management.
- The administrator will have excellent oral and written communication skills, strong organizational and interpersonal skills, and the ability to work independently, multi-task, understand church property issues, and maintain property contracts.
- Familiarity with Unitarian Universalism and/or alignment with the spiritual and ethical principles of Unitarian Universalism.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Work with the Minister to create a weekly order of service and to coordinate worship team contributions for virtual worship services.
- Provide timely communications about upcoming worship services and other community-wide events.
- Manage virtual access to online worship services, communications promoting worship services, and weekly worship attendance reports for distribution.
- Maintain online church calendar, schedule Zoom meetings, and work with web team.
- Create and distribute promotional materials and a weekly newsletter.
- Proactively engage with new communication methods as they emerge and evaluate the effectiveness of old strategies.
- Manage member database with the local and national church and collaborate with Membership committee in supporting church membership as well as providing administrative support for the annual pledge drive.
- Interact with members and the general public via phone, mail and email, providing a friendly, helpful and welcoming interface with members, lay leaders and visitors.
Church Office Administration
- Serve as main point of contact for issues related to office management and provide administrative support to the Minister.
- Administer church rental policies and guidelines with minimal oversight.
- Supervise and assess the work of the Sexton.
- Take action to maintain the property in a safe and usable condition.
20-25 total hours weekly
Note: Currently, most work will be done remotely due to the pandemic. Upon resumption of an open church campus, some hours may be worked remotely; others may be on the church campus during normal office hours. A schedule will be determined with the Minister.
$22-25 per hour (final amount based on level of experience)
- Health insurance available, with UUCSS sharing in premium costs
- Dental, life and long-term disability insurance available
- UUA retirement plan with UUCSS contributing an amount equal to 10% of salary after a year of UUA employment. Voluntary pre-tax contributions can also be made
- Paid holiday, vacation, and sick days
- Workers’ compensation protection for work-related illness or injury
Currently hiring-position is open until filled
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; please submit early for immediate consideration.
Please note: If selected for employment, applicants will be required to complete security clearances.
Applicants should email a resume, cover letter, earliest date you could start, and contact information for three references to email@example.com.