[updated April 2016]
Board of Trustees
- The responsibility for the fiduciary, strategic, and visionary direction of this Church shall be delegated to
the Board from the membership, as stated in the UUCSS Constitution, Article IV.
- The Board of Trustees may create and eliminate board committees and task forces to support the work of the Church and the Board.
- The Board President shall appoint chairs of committees and special task forces reporting to the Board.
In addition to the Program Council, established pursuant to the Church Constitution, the Church shall also
establish and maintain an Operations Council. The purpose of the Councils is to support the Church’s
programmatic and operational work, respectively, and to maximize coordination and communication among its committees and staff. The Board delegates programmatic and operational authority, decision-making, and accountability to the Councils.
Each council may create and eliminate committees and task forces within its purview as well as add volunteer roles to support its work.
Each council shall manage its expenditures within the annual operating budget created by the Board and
approved by the congregation. Each council shall have the authority to reallocate committee line item amounts within its overall budget as long as the total expended by each council is no more than the amount designated in the annual church budget. Under no circumstances may the councils or the committees that comprise the councils incur expenditure obligations beyond the budgeted amount without explicit Board approval.
Each council shall report on its activities to the Board on a regular basis.
Each council is responsible for ensuring that their section of the Church Procedures is current, consistent
with Section 1.c of these Policies.
The Board Vice President (Programs) shall appoint chairs of committees reporting to the Program Council.
The Operations Council Chair shall appoint chairs of committees reporting to the Operations Council.
Program and Operations committee and task force chairs shall appoint the members of their committees.
Program and Operations Council Committee chairs shall serve two year terms that may be renewed once. The appropriate Council must approve any subsequent renewals of committee chairs’ terms.
- The Program Council shall be comprised of the chairs of all Church program committees or their
designated representatives. Program Council members shall attend the regular meetings, and act as liaisons between their committees and the Council. The Chief of Staff shall ensure that appropriate program staff attend Program Council meetings as well as needed.
- The Board of Trustees Vice President (Programs) shall be the Chair of the Program Council, acting as
its leader and liaison to the Board.
- The Operations Council shall be comprised of the chairs of all Church operating committees or their
designated representatives. Operations Council members shall attend the regular meetings, and act as liaisons between their committees and the Operations Council. The Chief of Staff shall ensure that appropriate staff attend Operations Council meetings as well as needed.
- The Operations Council Chair shall be appointed by the Board and shall serve a two-year term that may
be renewed for subsequent two-year terms by the Board.
- An at-large member of the Board of Trustees shall be designated as the liaison to the Operations