jazz@uucss is a quarterly concert series presented in collaboration between the UUCSS Music Committee and jazz scholar, Bertrand Uberall. Our vision is to create an affordable, listener-friendly performance venue for jazz in the DC area, create new audiences for outstanding young jazz musicians, and foster connections between UUCSS and the local jazz community.
The concerts are held on Saturday or Sunday afternoons (generally 4-5:30 pm), with admission by free-will donation. To build upon our partnership with Strathmore Arts Center, many concerts feature alumni of Strathmore’s prestigious Artist in Residence (AIR) program.
- Sunday, January 20, 2019 – Dan Nichols Quartet, A Herbie Nichols Centennial Celebration
- Sunday, April 28, 2019 – Shacara Rogers
- Sunday, July 14, 2019 – Bassist Karine Chapdelaine
- January 2018: A Jazz Celebration of Martin Luther King, featuring drummer Tyler Leak and his trio, with Elijah Easton (saxophone) and Kris Funn (bass).
- April 2018: A Celebration of Charles Mingus and Earth Day, featuring the EJB quartet, with Elijah Jamal Balbed (saxophone), Harry Appelman (piano), Steve Arnold (bass), Kelton Norris (drums), and Greg Boyer (trombone)
- June 2018: Celebrating Lee Morgan, featuring Donvonte McCoy (trumpet), Lianna Gekker (piano), Cyndy Elliott (bass), Ele Rubenstein (drums), and Elijah Easton (saxophone).
- September 30, 2018 – Vocalist Irene Jalenti, with Josh Espinoza (piano) and Leo Maxey (trumpet)
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org